The only son and elder surviving child of James Cubitt (1808–1863), Baptist minister, and his wife, Mary (1796/7–1872).
James Cubitt designed the Streatham Congregational Church on Streatham High Road. The church was built in 1901 on the site of Heathfield, a large detached house, to the designs of James Cubitt. It was funded largely by two Streatham donors, Charles Derry and Frank Bentall, both department store retailers. Miss Derry laid the foundation stone on 16th May 1900. The church is now Listed Grade II.
(Clyde Binfield and Lambeth Archives)