First Baron Thurlow : Lord Chancellor , politician and administrator. He was Solicitor-General in 1770 and Attorney-General in 1771. Made Chancellor and Baron Thurlow in 1778. Lived in Thurlow Lodge, West Norwood, and held extensive properties in Norwood and Streatham, where he owned Leigham Manor
In 1789 he bought the Manor of Leigham Court in Streatham (the detached portion of which he had already acquired in 1785) from the trustees of the late Duke of St. Albans and in 1795 he rounded off his enormous property by acquiring Levehurst Manor from James Wall, junior, a Lieutenant in the Navy. The entire estate comprised 594 acres of freehold in Streatham, 355 acres of copyhold in Lambeth Manor, 123 acres of freehold in Lambeth and 48 acres of land allotted after the Lambeth Manor Inclosure Act of 1806.
A private Act of Parliament was required to break up his estate into building plots. He is remembered locally by Thurlow Park Road, Thurlow Hill, the 'Thurlow Arms' and Chancellor Grove.
(Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow by and published by Samuel William Reynolds, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
mezzotint, published 1820 ©NPG)
(British History On-line and Lambeth Archives)