Hywel Thomas Bennett, actor and director, born On This Day 8 April 1944. Brought up in Streatham from the age of 5 he attended Sunnyhill School
In 1970 he married Streatham's Cathy McGowan of Ready Steady Go fame at St Barthlomew's
Bennett was born in Garnant, Carmarthenshire, son of Gorden, a police officer, and Sarah Gwen (nee Lewis).
His brother, Alun became an actor under the name Alun Lewis. At the age of 15, while attending Henry Thornton grammar school, Clapham, Bennett joined the National Youth Theatre.
He played the female role of Ophelia in Hamlet (Queen’s theatre, 1959) when it became the first amateur company to perform in Shaftesbury Avenue and was still casting only male actors, as in Shakespeare’s time – a practice that changed shortly afterwards. He continued with the company for five years, his roles including Richmond in Richard III (Scala theatre, 1963).
On This Day 7th April Frederick Appleby died
Frederick "Fred" Appleby (30 October 1879 – 7 April 1956)was a British long-distance runner and member of the Herne Hill Harriers. Appleby briefly became a professional runner in 1909, running several races on the North American professional circuit.
In 1902 Appleby set a world record for 15 miles and twice defeated the leading distance runner of the time, Alfred Shrubb. Appleby competed in the 1908 Summer Olympics as a marathoner, but failed to finish.
In 1911 he is recorded as living at 167 Brixton Hill (Mechanical Dentistry ie dentures) with his wife Gertrude, a son and a daughter and three visitors, all born in India plus a servant
In the 1936 Register he is recorded as living at 29 Streatham Place and listed as a Dentist. Also living at the same address are Margaret Appleby and Gertrude Rice nee Appleby plus one domestic servant
On This Day 7th April 1966 Harold Drayton died.
Harold Charles Gilbert [Harley] Drayton (1901–1966), financier, was born on 19 November 1901 at Streatham (the family lived at 68 Sunnyhill Road), the elder of two sons of Bob Drayton and his wife, Annie Keep. They later moved to 45 Hambo Road
He was baptised at St Leonards 5th January 1902 and attended Eardley Road School in Streatham (see attached)
His father, who came from Lincolnshire, was employed by the London county council as a gardener. His mother died when the boys were still very young. He attended Eardley School in Streatham
In the 1945 general election Drayton stood as Liberal candidate for Bury St Edmunds.
Drayton had many business interests. He was chairman of Mitchell Cotts, which led to journeys all over Africa. He was chairman of United Newspapers and was largely responsible for building up the group because of his ability to make acquisitions. He was a director and Chairman of the Midland Bank and director of of Eagle Star Insurance.
He served his term as chairman of the Association of Investment Trusts and was treasurer of the Institute of Directors on its resuscitation in 1946.
He died ay home 7 April 1966 at 20 Kensington Palace Gardens leaving an estate of over £2m
**We have previously posted a picture of Harold Drayton with Billy Butlin and Sir Tom O'Brien (Secretary of the National Association of Theatrical and Kine Employees) in the Norwood News 20 October 1961 at Conyers Road, Streatham and the opening of a youth Centre funded by the Variety Club of GB**. https://www.facebook.com/groups/StreathamSociety/permalink/976767709500885
Frederick Nettlefold was born On This Day 6 April 1833
From 1878 to 1913 Frederick Nettlefold occupied the "White House", Streatham Grove Streatham. (Later renamed Norwood Grove). He took over the property from the co-owner of P and O, Arthur Anderson
His name is remembered today as the "N" for Nettlefold in GKN. Guest Keen and Nettlefold
His son John Frederick Nettlefold Jnr was a glass bottler manufacturer who lived at Five Oaks in Rycroft Road, Streatham
He retired from GKN in 1893 and helped develop Samuel Courtauld's silk and crepe company. He later became a philanthropist
Frederick died in 1913 and is buried at West Norwood Cemetery
Nettlefold Place and Netllefold Hall (now a Picturehouse in West Norwood) are named after him
On This Day 6 April 1944 "Great Escape" hero Harold Milford was killed
Harold John Milford (16 August 1914 – 6 April 1944), was a British Douglas Boston medium bomber observer who was taken prisoner during the Second World War. He took part in the 'Great Escape' from Stalag Luft III in March 1944, but was one of the men re-captured and subsequently shot by the Gestapo
Harold Milford was born in Streatham, the son of William John Milford a railway worker and his wife Ada Frances and grew up in Medora Road in the Tulse Hill area with his parents and two sisters. In the spring of 1940 he married Marion Heather.
Milford joined No. 226 Squadron RAF flying the Douglas Boston medium bomber on daylight precision bombing operations from RAF Swanton Morley against industrial targets and power stations. The medium bombers were invariably met by Luftwaffe day fighters often from the ace Jagdgeschwader 26.
At 10:50 on the morning of 22 September 1942 he took off in Douglas Boston (serial number "AL743"). The bombers were met by the Luftwaffes JG 26 and Milford's crew bailed out he was captured in a haystack and sent to Stalag Luft III.
Milford was one of the 76 men who escaped the prison camp on the night of 24–25 March 1944, in the escape now famous as "the Great Escape" His body was cremated in Breslau's crematorium. He was one of the 50 escapers executed and murdered by the Gestapo.
(Milford second from right at the table- picture courtesy of Media Drum)
Waitrose Streatham was acquired On This Day 5th April 1948. The Gazette announced the acquisition, welcoming “The old established grocery and provision business formerly carried on by Messrs. T Wilkey Ltd at 558 High Road.
We welcome Mr W H Kearnon and his team to the Partnership and hope that in it they will find happiness and prosperity.” Mr Kearon went on to manage the shop until closure in 1963.
The branch then relocated to No.123-127 Streatham High Road, which used to be the premises for Messrs. George Pratt & Company. The branch became the Partnership’s first supermarket on 6 September 1955. It had 2,500 square feet of selling space – just less than a tennis court! The fascia was in eggshell green vitriolite, with neon-lit lettering in dark green perspex and sheet bronze. Opening hours were 8.30am to 6pm with half day closing on Wednesday and a late night on Friday.
Pratts of Streatham, already a branch department store of the John Lewis Partnership, produced a leaflet to promote the new supermarket: “Pratts customers are strongly recommended to try this modern method of buying in speed and comfort from a wide selection of foods.”
(Waitrose Memory Bank)
The Streatham School Committee records the resolution to form a school (St Leonard's) passed by the Vestry meeting On This Day 5th April 1813
The Streatham Committee book records the resolution to form a school passed by the Vestry meeting On This Day 5th April 1813
On 24th May 1813 St Leonard's School opened at the back of the White Lion Public House with 40 boys
The plan was to open the school on the Village Common, Tooting Bec Common next to the Streatham Workhouse. Subscribers were the Duke of Bedford, Earl Coventry, John Kymer, Reverend Hill, Mrs Thrale and the Streatham Cricket Club.
In 1837 there was concern regarding the suitability of a school adjacent to a pub and £1000 was raised to build a new school in Mitcham Lane near to Mrs Kymer's Girls School
In 1961 the school moved to its current location, on the site of Streatham Grammar School.
Source Tony Pizzoferro and John Brown St Leonard's Church of England Primary School: A Proud Heritage 1813-2013 available by completing a book request form https://www.streathamsociety.org.uk/publications.html
A brewer and politician, was the only son of Ralph Thrale (d. 1758), a wealthy brewer of Southwark who was master of the Brewers' Company, high sheriff of Surrey, and MP for Southwark in 1741–7. Thrale's grandfather was a ‘yeoman’ of Offley, Hertfordshire. Thrale's father was head clerk of the Anchor Brewery in Southwark, a leading London brewery founded in 1616.
Thrale married Hester Lynch Salusbury (1741–1821).a fashionable, literary lady with good family connections, on 11 October 1763 (supposedly at the urging of her uncle, Sir Thomas Salusbury, as the condition of his making a settlement on her).
Henry and Hester Thrale had two sons, the elder dying in 1776 aged nine and the younger in 1775 aged two, and ten daughters. Only five daughters survived to benefit from Thrale's will, each receiving £20,000. The eldest daughter, Hester Maria [see Elphinstone, Hester Maria], became Viscountess Keith.
The Thrales lived in style with a house at the brewery (which Mrs Thrale hated), a country house at Streatham Place, a hunting box (with a pack of hounds) near Croydon, and a further property at Brighton. Thrale was elected MP for the borough of Southwark in December 1765
The lack of a male heir at Thrale's death on 4 April 1781 forced the sale of the brewery. As Johnson commented, 'what can misses do with a brewhouse. Lands are fitter for daughters than trade' (Boswell, 2, 69). Johnson presided over the sale as an executor ('we are not here to sell a parcel of boilers and vats but the potentiality of becoming rich beyond the dreams of avarice' (ibid., 397), and the brewery was bought for £135,000 by John Perkins and the rich Quaker relatives of his wife—Robert Barclay, David Barclay, and Sylvanus Bevan.
(Henry Thrale after Sir Joshua Reynolds- 1777)
Happy Easter everyone Hollywood actress and former Streatham resident Ida Lupino with an Easter Bunny