A busy High Road scene in the early 1900s when the only traffic on the road was a horse drawn bus and a single cyclist.
At this spot the High Road comprised many buildings that had only been erected a decade or so earlier, with the oldest structure being the old Streatham Police Station built in 1865 which can be seen on the right in the far distance.
The fine building standing on the corner of Gleneldon Road was built in 1883 for the London & South Western Bank. The bank occupied the ground floor of the building, with its vaults being located in the basement. Shortly after the bank moved here it experienced its first robbery when William Thomas Webb, the bank's first manager, was found guilty of embezzling £1,200 and was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment with hard labour.
The ground floor of the building is now occupied by Ladbrokes, bookmakers.
(John Brown and Image courtesy of Frances Partridge)