The tower of Immanuel Church rises above the trees in this view showing that stretch of Streatham High Road running along the western edge of Streatham Common, near the lower pond. Of particular note are the row of Horse Chestnut trees lining the edge of the Common which at the tine this photograph was taken had still to reach their maturity.
They were planted by the Metropolitan Board of Works after they acquired the manorial rights of Streatham Common in 1888 and formed a magnificent boundary to the common running along the High Road and Streatham Common North and South. Today, well over a century and a quarter later, these trees are at the height of their splendour and their spring blossom is a joy to behold. On the right of this picture, on the eastern side of the High Road, can be seen part of the glass canopy which once provided a shaded walkway along the front of Bank Parade which faces the common. This was removed in 1939. Note also the tram travelling along the High Road having just past Immanuel Church.
(John Brown and photo courtesy Frances Partridge collection)