Mary Law the first wife of Hugh Sewell Kingdon of 66 Woodbourne Avenue. They married at St Leonards on 24th July 1915.
Kingdon purchased the land from Sternhold Avenue to Telford Avenue, as an entertainment centre and the Locarno, Streatham Hill Theatre and Gaumont Palace were built on this land.
Mary Law was a young British violinist, born 1889, died 1919, possibly from tuberculosis. She recorded a number of sides for Zonophone in 1915, primarily of operatic fantasias - those arrangements that provided audiences the tunes they knew.
In November 1915 she began a tour of Australia. The Melbourne Argus of November 23rd 1915 contains the following:
Just Arrived, Direct from London, Under Special Engagement and First Appearance in Australia of Miss MARY LAW, The Notable English Violinist. Miss Law has been honoured with Royal Commands galore, and can claim the distinction of having played before most Members of the Royal Family.
Mary Law is also recorded at 13 Becmead Ave and 39 Babbington Road, and the Paragon houses - number 12 in Streatham Hill
Image by Bassano © National Portrait Gallery, London