He gained a reputation as an expert on medieval buildings and applied this expertise to his new buildings and his restorations. He restored castles and country houses, and built a number of new houses and churches including Holy Trinity in Upper Tooting in the Historic Parish of Streatham
Holy Trinity was built in 1855 as the area around, still largely rural, began to be developed. The architect was Anthony Salvin. The original building consisted only of the nave, sanctuary and narrow side aisles. The tower was added a few years later.
Over the next few decades, Upper Tooting became densely built up. At the end of the 19th century the church was substantially enlarged and a separate parish hall built in Glenburnie Road. Most of the church furnishings, such as the alabaster and stone pulpit, the brass lectern, and choir stalls date from this time. One Sunday in 1895, over 3500 people worshipped at the church, the biggest congregation ever. Rose Window
There were few changes to the building for the next seventy years, but major changes were begun in the 1970s . To raise funds to repair the crumbling tower, the parish hall had to be sold and a new hall was created from the south aisle. There was substantial modernisation in the 1980s, when the current entrance lobby, with toilets, was created and the old vestries converted into a new small hall. The glass doors, designed by Gabrielle Preedy, a congregation member, were added. These changes enabled the building to be used by a variety of community groups.
(Holy Trinity, Upper Tooting)