Image © Reach PLC. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.
Ceremony to lay the cornerstone of Century House, 245 Streatham High Road, performed by Alderman Sidney Sanders JP (3rd from left with presentation trowel). The building was the headquarters and workshops of James Walker Goldsmith and Silversmith Ltd. The firm was originally established in 1823, but considerably expanded by Sidney Sanders from 1920 onwards into the second largest multiple retailer of jewellery and silverware in Britain. The business was taken over by H.Samuel in April 1984 and subsequently closed down. Century House was redeveloped as luxury flats.From the James Walker Collection.( Lambeth Archives)