(Edith) Gillian Harrison (née Cooke) (1898–1974), architect, was born at St Hilaire, Rydal Road, Streatham, on 10 January 1898, the oldest child of Henry Cooke (1862–1937), a solicitor, and his wife Rose Margaret, née Bristow (1871–1933).
She had a brother, George, and a sister, Rosemary (1900–1985). The household was a prosperous one, and by 1911 the family had moved to a substantial house in Argyll Road, Kensington, with three servants and a governess.
A British architect. After Roedean School, she trained at the Architectural Association School of Architecture from 1917-1922, where she was one of the first four female students.
In 1931 Harrison became the first woman Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. In 1923, she married Henry St John Harrison, also an architect. Together they formed a joint practice called Cooke & Harrison. They had one child, a son.
(Another Streatham Architect Frederick Wheeler lived in the same road-Rydal Road)