"Broadlands" an impressive grey brick building with an extensive rear garden at the end which contained a paddock and a number of tall elm trees. A large conservatory ran the ran the full length of the house. Steps led from the back of the property to a terrace with further steps leading down to a large lawn ( Source-extract J W Brown).
Today Broadlands Mansions occupies the site from Broadlands Avenue towards Drewstead Road and Streatham Hill Station comprising 6 outlets, built after the house was demolished in 1928
John Stewart Margetson (1811- 1867) and his wife Hannah (1816) nee Woods and their family. John Stewart Margetson is listed as a warehouseman and Bandana printer and was the co-owner of Welch and Margetson and Co Limited, menswear manufacturers specialising in shirts, collars, silk handkerchiefs, silk neckties, scarves and braces, which was established in 1832.
It was one of the first companies to introduce an in-working factory arrangement for the making of shirts. In 1847 the first Londonderry factory was opened, followed by Carlisle Road factory, Londonderry, in 1876. A tie factory was built in Bermondsey in 1890, to which the production of all other company products moved in due course. Early in the 20th century a factory for the shirt, collar and tie trade was opened in Melbourne, Australia, and in 1911 a limited liability company was formed, Welch, Margetson and Company (Overseas).
Welch, Margetson and Company became a public company in 1948 and was taken over by Viyella International Limited in 1968.
Images of merchandise below in the V and A collections
(The next owner of Broadlands was Joseph Henry Standen, Mary Sarah Bridges nee Wyatt and their family. He was a Tailor and Outfitter in partnership with his brother Richard Spiers Standen with branches in 31 High Street, Oxford & 16 Waterloo Place, Pall Mall
Joseph and Richard's father, Edward, owned Standen and Company operating from 112 Jermyn Street and specialising in Woollen products from Shetland)