Rev. James Baldwin Brown, originally minister of Clayland's Chapel, Clapham Road, was later first pastor at the Brixton Independent Church, Brixton Road.
He changed the old 'hard and fast lines of Puritanic teaching' within the Non-conformist church, 'breathing into it the finer spirit of Christianity' and inspiring his congregation with his missionary zeal to help the poor in the community. This later resulted in the establishment of The Moffat Institute, Vauxhall. Photograph of portrait by unknown artist, c.1880
Brown was famous at the time for his liberal philosophical views, both in the pulpit and in the press, and the numerous religious works that he published.
He lived at 5 The Paragon, in Streatham Hill, and died at Coombe House, Kingston. Buried at West Norwood Cemetery