Leifchild, Henry Stormonth (1823–1884), sculptor, born in Moorgate, London, was the fourth son of William Gerard Leifchild of Moorgate and The Elms, Wanstead, Essex, and nephew of John Leifchild DD. He married Marion, daughter of Henry Clarke of King Street, Covent Garden, London; they had no children. He studied from 1844 at the Royal Academy Schools, and from 1848 to 1851 in Rome. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1844, sending The Mother of Moses Leaving him on the Banks of the Nile.
At the Great Exhibition of 1851 he exhibited his statue, Rispah Watching over the Dead Bodies of her Sons, and that, like his later groups Bacchus Awakening Ariadne, The Torchbearers, Minerva Repressing the Wrath of Achilles, Lot's Wife, and Wrecked, besides various busts, attracted favourable attention.
He was the successful competitor for the guards' memorial at Chelsea Hospital in London. Seven models in plaster of his most important works were presented by his widow and family to the Castle Museum in Nottingham, all but one of which were destroyed by a curator before 1929. He is today best-known for the Robertson mausoleum (c.1867) in Warriston cemetery, Edinburgh.
(L. H. Cust and Christopher Whitehead)
(Image 1- ArtUk) A heroic seated figure of Erinna, dated 1860, is at the Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, Egham, Surrey. Leifchild resided most of his life in Stanhope Street, Regent's Park, London, and died on 11 November 1884 at 15 Kirkstall Road, Streatham Hill, London. He was multitalented, excelling not only in his profession but also as a draughtsman, carver, and musician.
(Image 2- source ArtUK ) James Baldwin Brown of 7 Paragon and Leifchild's brother in law