Misfortune had struck during the school holidays on 27 July 1944, when a V-1 bomb damaged the school badly. Although parts of the building were still usable, the operation of the school had to be divided between four separate sites. It was not until 1949 that the contract for rebuilding was finally signed, and then followed three years of demolition and reconstruction.
The further expansion of the school led to the GPDST’s purchase in 1993 of a new site (for the Senior School) at Abbotswood Road, the former buildings of the Battersea Grammar School, purchased from London South Bank University.
Image of School in Wavertree Road c1895 and 2020