1.John James Webster (9 June 1845 – 30 October 1914) a resident at 81 Mount Nod Road who was a Civil Engineer.
He had worldwide reputation for bridge and pier building. He designed Britain's first transporter bridge early in 1900 and built the Shepherds Bush Stadium for the 1908 Olympic Games.
Among other structures he carried out were; Conway Suspension Bridge; Portsmouth bascule bridge; Littlehampton swing bridge and Widnes-Runcorn Transporter Bridge.
His last work was the Warrington Bridge at Bridgefoot which was one of the earliest examples of a reinforced concrete bridge.
He died at home 30 October 1914 and is buried at West Norwood Cemetery
Joe Deakin won a Gold Medal for the 3 Miles team race and lived with his daughter and family at 21 Hitherfield Road, Streatham in his later years
Stanley Bacon was the eldest and most successful of five brothers who were in the top-flight of British wrestling for more than a decade. Between them, the Bacon brothers won almost 30 British championships, with Stanley winning 15 titles.
To reach the middleweight freestyle final at the 1908 Games, Stanley Bacon defeated three British wrestlers and then met a fourth Briton, George de Relwyskow, in the final.
The two were very evenly matched, but Bacon won the first two bouts on points, after the expiration of the fifteen-minute time limit and the scheduled third bout was not contested. He also competed in the Greco-Roman middleweight event in 1908, but lost in the first round and in 1912, when there were no freestyle events, he again suffered an early defeat in the Greco-Roman style competition.
At the 1920 Olympics, his third, he returned to the freestyle events, but he was by now 35 years old and lost his first bout. Bacon was a civil servant and an enthusiastic supporter of their sports club.
He was the Civil Service diving and middleweight boxing champion and played rugby for their first XV for ten years. He was held in high regard in wrestling circles and was a judge at the 1928 Olympic Games.