This postcard shows the view along Thrale Road looking north from the junction with Penwortham Road. The estate agency run by Charles Tinniswood can be clearly seen on the northern side of the junction. Thrale Road was developed on the western edge of the Streatham Park Estate which was the home of the Thrale family after whom the road is named. In the latter half of the 18th century
Streatham Park became a fashionable centre for society and here Henry Thrale and his wife, Hester, entertained the leading luminaries of the day, including David Garrick, Edmund Burke, Oliver Goldsmith, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and Dr. Samuel Johnson. The estate was sold in 1863 and the fine old mansion was demolished and land given over for development. Thrale Road, formerly known as Green Lane, was laid out in 1888 and a number of large, impressive Victorian houses were erected here.
(John W Brown and Photo Courtesy Frances Partridge Collection)