Sidney Sanders (1871-1942) was Alderman and chair of the Wandsworth Borough Housing Committee, becoming much involved with the Streatham area.
In 1905 he began the jewellery firm Sanders & Co. with William Metherell, opening the first branch at 87 Streatham High Road, but left in 1920 to takeover the firm of James Walker Ltd
This firm was originally established in 1823 and considerably expanded under Sidney Sanders into the second largest multiple retailer of jewellery and silverware in Britain. Century House at 245 Streatham High Road, was opened in 1938 as the firm's headquarters.
He was succeeded as chairman by his son Gerald Sanders. The business was taken over by H.Samuel in April 1984 and subsequently closed down.
(Images: Sidney Sanders, James Walker branch at the top of Woodbourne Ave and Century House)