Sir (James) Frank Colyer (1866–1954), dental surgeon and museum curator, was born on 25 September 1866 at 2 Loughborough Villas, Loughborough Road, Lambeth, London, one of the sons of James Colyer, dentist, and his wife, Rebecca Hastings, née Farrow.
Colyer was the recipient of many prizes and honours, both in England and North America. Included among these was his admission to the fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1916, and the honour of being created a knight of the British empire in 1920, for services rendered during the war. The Royal Society of Medicine also paid him a great tribute when in 1926 they named a prize after him, a rare accolade to be made during a person's lifetime.
The Colyer's had 3 children Their youngest daughter, Evelyn, a talented lawn-tennis player sadly died in India See FB post https://www.facebook.com/groups/StreathamSociety/permalink/964991497345173
The skull of the real Winnie-the-Pooh, "Winnipeg" belonging to Captain Colebourne was examined by Colyer who determined the loss of teeth and thickening of the alveolar and sockets filled with bone were the result of old age and eating habits.
Colyer died at his home, Queenswood, 39 Palace Road, Streatham, London, on 30 March 1954. A memorial service was held at St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, on 12 April 1954.
(Extracts Susan L. Cohen and the Hunterian Museum)
Image: 1 Sir (James) Frank Colyer by Walter © National Portrait Gallery
Image 2: Skull of the real Winnie the Pooh (Royal College of Surgeons)