William Cubitt (1791 – 28 October 1863) was an English engineering contractor and Conservative Party politician. He was born in Buxton in Norfolk
In the 1851 census he lived in Bedford Hill, Streatham with his wife Elizabeth Scarlett (1791) who he married on Christmas day in 1814. They had a son and 4 daughters with Eliza and Rosa recorded in the 1851 census together with 9 servants
William was a partner in the building firm established by his elder brother, Thomas Cubitt, at Gray's Inn Road but in about 1827 the partnership was dissolved leaving William solely in charge of the business.
William built Covent Garden completed in 1830 and Fishmongers' Hall completed in 1834. He also built the portico and the original station buildings at Euston completed in 1837. He was also responsible for the reclaiming and development of Cubitt Town in the Isle of Dogs completed in 1850. He retired completely from the business in 1851. In 1883 the business was acquired by Holland & Hannen, a leading competitor, and the combined business became known as Holland & Hannen and Cubitts and subsequently as Holland, Hannen & Cubitts
William sat as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Andover from 1847 until 1861. He then resigned his seat on 23 July 1861 by accepting appointment as Steward of the Manor of Hempholme
William became active in the politics of the City of London. He was Sheriff of London and Middlesex in 1847, an Alderman of the City in 1851, represented the City on the Metropolitan Board of Works from 1856, served as Lord Mayor of London in 1860–61 and was re-elected in 1861–62. He died at Penton Lodge in Andover aged 72.
(Image NPG 1857 © National Portrait Gallery)