On This Date 24th October 1911 the Foundation stone at the Streatham Congregational church was laid by Miss Derry, daughter of Charles Derry
The Streatham Congregational Church was less than 10 years old when the photograph of the church was taken.
This grade II listed building was erected in 1900 and was designed by James Cubitt FRIBA. Charles Derry, who was a partner in the famous Derry and Toms department store in London, He lived at Woodlands, a large detached house facing Tooting Graveney Common which had formerly been the residence of the famous Victorian potter, Henry Doulton.
The Congregational Church was dedicated on 11th June 1901. Another prominent retailer who was a member of the congregation here was Frank Bentall, who owned a large department store in Kingston, called Bentall's. He lived in a large house in North Drive, Streatham Park.
The church survives today as the United Reformed Church. To the north of the church in the postcard can be seen Streatham Conservatories, a garden business run by H G Burrows, the site of which was subsequently occupied by the church hall which was demolished in September 2011 to make way for a Tesco supermarket.
(John Brown and photo Frances Partridge)