View showing the P. B. Cow factory and the Streatham silk mill complex. All the buildings on the site were demolished excepting the mill which survives as the Argos in Sainsbury's supermarket. Stephen Wilson constructed a silk mill here in 1820. These buildings were the first purpose-built textile factory in London. The mill was sold to industrialist Henry Cow as part of his rubber factory. By 1939 the company were designing and making inflatable emergency dinghies and life jackets for the Royal Air Force and during World War II, became the world leaders in manufacturing life saving equipment. The Factory Square is now marked by Sainsbury's supermarket and car park.
(Graham Gower Collection- Lambeth Archives)