This photograph shows the view south down Streatham High Road in 1914. In the middle of the road is a tramcar operated by the London County Council (LCC), alongside several horse-drawn carts and carriages.
By 1914, the LCC had purchased nearly all of the tramways previously operated by independent companies in inner London. As well as linking up services, they carried out a huge programme of electrifying the network, using an electric conduit system buried under the road. This tramcar, No.812, is a Class E/1 type made by Hurst, Nelson in Motherwell, Scotland.
The prominently displayed service number – 20 – indicates that it carried passengers between Victoria, Elephant and Castle, Kennington, Brixton and Norbury. Not all passengers headed straight into central London; in this period Streatham was growing into a destination area for shopping and entertainment.
Streatham was also increasingly home to a large number of commuters. New housing developments and several large mansion-type houses lined the High Road - you can see the grand gates of some of them leading off the pavement in this photograph. Image Copyright: London Metropolitan Archives (City of London Corporation)